In compliance with the Act, a private body must do the following:
- Compile a Section 51 Manual;
- Submit the manual to the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) once approved;
- Resubmit the manual to the SAHRC each time there have been material changes made to the document;
- Electronic submissions to the Commission are accepted, however, thereafter they need to be hard copy originals;
- Make the manual available at the company offices and on their website, as prescribed by the Act;
- Annex a request form to the manual and make a request form available on the website and at the company’s premises;
- Private bodies need to acknowledge that there are penalties for non-compliance, as seen in Section 90 of Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA).